Office 2007 installation error on XP
One day I had the surprise of being unable to install Office 2007 on a custom XP SP3 install (from a USB stick). The error was “The Windows Installer service cannot update one or more protected Windows files.”
In Event Viewer “System” log, I see this MsiInstaller error 1193: “
Product: Microsoft Software Update for Web Folders (English) 12 — Error 1933. The Windows Installer service cannot update one or more protected Windows files. SFP Error: 21. List of protected files: c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\web server extensions\40\bin\fp4autl.dll”.
Search FP40EXT.CAB on the Windows install CD, open it with 7-ZIP, search for fp4autl.dll and copy it in
c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\web server extensions\40\bin
Other ways to open a CAB file :
- Method 1 : You can open a CAB file directly from Windows by clicking Start / Run, and then by running the following command:
- Method 2 : To extract information from a .cab file in Windows XP:1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type
msconfig, and then click OK.
3. Click Expand File.
4. In the File to restore box, type the name of the file that you want to restore.
5. In the Restore from box, type the path to the Windows XP .cab file from which you want to restore the file, or click Browse From to locate the Windows XP .cab file.
NOTE: The Windows XP .cab files are stored in the I386 folder on the Windows XP compact disc (CD).
6. In the Save file in box, type the path to which you want the new file extracted, or click Browse To to locate the folder that you want.
7. Click Expand.
8. In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click OK. If you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.
- Command (power users – extracts the file to C:expand d:\i386\FP40EXT.CAB /f:\fp4autl.dll c:\
This assumes your Windows CD drive letter is D:
PS : In my case I just searched the fp4autl.dll on the internet and found it here.